Saturday, January 22, 2011

Somewhere in the World

Hello world,

I haven't been blogging in a while so I thought that while something significant happened in my life I may as well blog about it before I forget it.

Last night (Friday, 21st Jan, 2011) I went to my first official concert (my auntie tells me a Wiggles concert when I was a tot doesn't count) - Altiyan Childs. Normally I don't like those "stars" that win reality TV shows, but I've taken a shine to Altiyan. Anyway, it was at the Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre in Nowra (about an hour and a half drive from Moruya). Anyway, we got there (and by "we", I mean me, mum, and my auntie Carol), and we were all really excited - but I think mum and Carol were more excited. I didn't know what to expect.

While we were waiting in the lobby, mum persuaded me to buy a t-shirt for $20. It was a red one with his picture on it - one of the best concert t-shirts I've seen. Because Luke & Joel (X-Factor contestants like Altiyan that were knocked out) were the opening act, there was a stand for their t-shirts and CD that had 3 songs, and Carol felt sorry for the guy standing there because no one was buying anything.

There were stairs leading up to our door, and mum or Carol weren't too confident in climbing them. So, we decided to take the elevator on the opposite side of the building, only to find it led to the wrong door (surprise, surprise). Then as we were going back down these two girls said "How embarrassing" - that's MY line! So once we finally got to right elevator, we were waiting for about 15-20 minutes for the doors to open, and there was a woman with one of the promotional posters from the window. Carol wanted one, so she went downstairs to ask for one, and she had to persuade the clerk-guy to get her one. While she was gone, mum made a comment about how many old people there were there (we're talking almost every person there was over 50), then Carol made the same comment when she came back.

8:00 - the doors finally opened! I was awaiting to see how terrible our view would be - seeing how we were literally in the back row - and I was shocked; they were actually really good. We were in the centre of the row so we had a clear view of the stage, and surprisingly we weren't that far away from the stage. I could clearly see who was who. Carol insisted I brought the binoculars I won from year nine's Japanese raffle (thanks Cusack!), which helped.

So, Luke & Joel were on first, and they sung about 6 songs, and they were a lot better than I expected. There was then an intermission, where Luke & Joel went down to the lobby to sign autographs and get pictures taken and such. Carol and I waited in line - which took us about 10 minutes to realise the second line was for the canteen), and in front of us were these two kids - I assume they were brother and sister. According to Carol, the girl was 7 (she looked at least 13) and the guy was 13. The guy stank like B.O. and was obsessed with cricket. The girl was pretty cool. She was disappointed that her phone wasn't working, so she couldn't get a photo of her and L&J on Facebook (keep in mind she is supposed to be 7 and that she has a phone and Facebook). So, heroically, I ran to the stage-place-thingy to get mum's keys so I could get my iPod Touch so she could take a photo with it and I'd send it to her. Sadly, there was no time and I ran back to see Altiyan come on stage (Carol stayed and met them and got a signed CD which I now have).

Not much to say here - Altiyan came on stage introducing himself with U2's "Beautiful Day". He then played a load of songs. In one of them he asked four people to come on stage with him (all women of course) - one was a cute girl I saw before the show; one was a shy, semi-overweight woman (who ended up going back off-stage anyway); one was a woman we were sure was a part of the production who had the same shirt as me (and the whole time she was trying to hug, kiss, and seduce Altiyan); and another one who had nothing special about her. After that, someone threw underwear on the stage. It took a few minutes for Altiyan to realise they were there - then he picked them up with a semi-confused/disgusted look and hung them on one of the guitars.

In between songs, he would often say things like "I love you, thank you.", "Can I sing a song? Is that alright with you?", and "People don't like me talking, so I'll just sing." - and he would introduce songs with the title - for example, before he sung Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory", he said "It'll take a blaze of glory to bring me down...".

*takes a breath*

He was up to his, about, 13th song I think it was, and he said it was his last song. I was disappointed at that point because he hadn't sung Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer", and when that was over he left the stage, but some lights were still on. At that point, everyone started chanting his name and stomping on the ground (so much that my chair felt like it was about to fall off the wall), and then the keyboardist came on and everyone cheered, then stopped because they realised it wasn't Altiyan. THEN Altiyan came back on stage and sung "Lady in Red". THEN the whole band came back on and performed Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" - WHAT A FINISH!!

Just like L&J, he came to the lobby to sign stuff and such (after about 20 minutes of making us wait). I tried getting photos of him on both my iPod and mum's camera, but failed. Mum and Carol cut in line, but mum bailed, so it was just Carol left. She got a signed CD for mum, even though she said she paid for two. So, Carol met both Altiyan and L&J.

We then dropped Carol home and we went back to Nana's to sleep, and left at 7:15 the next morning. Got home at around 10:30-11:00.

So, as far as my first concert goes, it was AWESOME!! I've now uploaded his album to my laptop and haven't looked back since.

No comments:

Post a Comment