Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thought-Theatre: Mario Party

It was my birthday and I was turning either 5, 6, or 7. I was having a costume party, and of course, I wanted to go as Mario. So, I wore my red shirt, my overalls with heart buttons, and my blue Pokemon hat (for some reason I used to think I looked like Mario in it). For the moustache, I drew it on with a face crayon, or whatever they are called.

I remember mum wondering how we would actually get the moustache on me. She then said that the little after-school care (held in the school hall at Illawarra Primary) had face crayons. I remember going there one afternoon with mum and Matt.

It was about 15 minutes before my friends were arriving at my house. My mum decided to start drawing on the moustache (we were in the living room, when the couch was facing the wall). She drew it on just like Mario's, but instead it didn't curve upwards like his did. I made a fuss about that, and she fixed it.

The next I remember of that day is that all of my friends were at my house and we went outside to pile into dad's work bus (a Metro bus - the best in the business) that he borrowed just for me. I have no idea where we went (I'm thinking either minigolf, Maccas, or Pizza Hut).

The last part I remember of that day is riding home down the street/highway near that drive-in bottleshop and where I used to do swimming lessons - around the corner from a hospital and car sales place. I remember every one of my friends were jumping around the bus, and I was hanging from the bar you hold on to if you're standing up.

They never do birthdays like that anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment