Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thought-Theatre: El Matto

This one's actually about my brother. He was about 10 or 11 at the time, making me 5 or 6. Maybe we were even younger.

There was a small pathway near the entrance of the road leading to the part of Huntingfield where we lived. There was (probably not anymore) a wooden fence which divided the property next to it. All of a sudden, I started seeing "El Matto" spraypainted on it. I knew it was my brother.

I think I asked him about it, and he said it wasn't him. He even insisted that we sneak out one night to try and catch the culprit. That never came to pass - sadly, because I wanted to sneak out!

Eventually, he got caught. I'm not sure how; but maybe I ratted him out and mum knew it was obviously him. Mum and dad were furious at him. I remember to apologise he had a long strip on paper (at least 2 metres long), and he wrote "XOXO" all the way down it and handed it to mum in the section of our house separating the kitchen and lounge room.

The question arose of how he actually got the spraypaint and why he did it. I actually asked mum about this a few days ago, and she said it wasn't actually illegal to sell spraypaint to minors back then. He bought it from Mitre 10 (which was about a 5 minute walk from our house - it was, and still is known as "The Fork in the Road" because of the huge fork out the front). He told the saleman/lady it "was a present for Grandad". He said he did it to be like Bart Simpsons, because his trademark was "El Barto". Television is way to impressionable on kids, these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment